Monday, February 28, 2011

Upcoming Event: Rock Chalk Revue

Rock Chalk Revue is nationally recognized as one of the largest student-run philanthropy activities in the United States. Each year the organization hosts a variety show produced by University of Kansas students to benefit Douglas County United Way. This year marks the 62nd annual production. The show will take place on March 3-5 at the Lied Center. Tickets are on sale now at www.lied.ku.edu.
KU students write and produce the satirical musical revue as well as fill leadership and fundraising roles. Judges selected five shows from 12 entries. This year the five selected shows include;
—    “Above the Weather,” Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and Sigma Chi fraternity
—    “Myth of the Campanile,” Chi Omega sorority and Phi Delta Theta fraternity
—    “A Little White Lie,” Kappa Delta sorority and Pi Kappa Phi fraternity
—    “Just Ad It,” Gamma Phi Beta sorority and Delta Upsilon fraternity
—    “Holiday Hysteria,” Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and Beta Theta Pi fraternity
In addition to the variety show, Rock Chalk Revue hosted a benefit concert in the fall and multiple community service events throughout the year. Leading up to the show, student organizations have a chance to submit community service hours to the Rock Chalk Revue advisory board. These hours will be tallied and the organization with the most hours will be recognized with an award on the last night of the variety show.
Last year Rock Chalk Revue raised $47,000 for the Douglas County United Way. Since 1991, the organization has raised more than $800,000 for United Way.
Panhellenic women devote countless hours to this organization. Allie Donahue, one of the directors for Kappa Alpha Theta, explains why she gives so much time to Rock Chalk Revue and what Rock Chalk Revue has given back to her. 

“My experience with Rock Chalk Revue began my freshman year when I performed in Flying Solo: A Super Musical. My sorority Kappa Alpha Theta was paired with Pi Kappa Phi. As a freshman, I truly felt honored to be in the show.  Almost immediately after my first semester at college started, I became involved with the process of attempting to get our group on the Lied Center stage. We spent many nights having vocal rehearsals for our audition CD and our performance in front of judges at Oral Interviews (the audition process). This is when my college experience took off!  The night we found out that our show was chosen to perform has so far been the best night of my college experience. Being involved in Rock Chalk Revue has immensely affected my time at KU and in my sorority. I found that being involved with the show gave me a purpose in my sorority and an outlet for the dancing and theater that I left behind when I came to college. I found quickly that Rock Chalk Revue was a great way for me to get to know other people in other houses. My best friends and roommates are people I got to know through the organization. The boys from the fraternity that we did the show with are still close friends today and we have formed a great group of friends.
Now that I have moved on from just being a cast member to being a director, Rock Chalk Revue has been a completely new and rewarding experience. Being in charge this year has helped me to be a more responsible student. It has challenged me to manage my time by applying myself fully in school and working to make our show Above The Weather the best it can be. This year when my sorority was placed with a new fraternity, I worried that there was no way these boys could match up with the boys I worked with last year. I quickly realized that these guys were going to be good friends and great to work with. As I stand in front of our cast at practice I love the feeling of leading our group to our fullest potential. My other co-directors and I have worked so hard this year and have formed a strong bond. I find that through Rock Chalk Revue I am continually making new friends. It has also helped me to feel a connection to the Greek community and to the University of Kansas.  Rock Chalk Revue has truly shaped my time at KU. I no longer feel lost in the huge student body, I now have a name and I am proud to represent Kappa Alpha Theta. Even though Rock Chalk Revue can be really hard sometimes with long nights, stressful rehearsals, and overwhelming work load, in the end the reward makes it all worth it. We make great friends and irreplaceable memories. The best part about the whole experience is that win or lose, we did this for United Way. The fact that through doing something I love with people I care about is beneficial to the community is one of the most gratifying parts. As our cast hits the stage in the next two weeks I will remember all of the great moments I’ve had with these people while applauding my friends from last year with their new partners. When we take our final bow, I’ll be hoping to return to the stage next year.”
Allie is a sophomore Kappa Alpha Theta majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Dance

No comments:

Post a Comment